Medical doctors (M.D.s) diagnose patient conditions using examinations and tests. Based on their findings, they prescribe treatment and medications to attempt to heal any illnesses or injuries. General practitioners and pediatricians have a wide range of medical knowledge, and they are often the first types of doctors who patients visit. Most doctors routinely work in teams, with nurses and aides assisting them in well-lit work locations.
Career Opportunities as a Specialized Doctor
- Cardiologist: Cardiology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the heart as well as parts of the circulatory system. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology.
- Dermatologist: Dermatology is the branch of medicine dealing with the skin, nails, hair and its diseases. It is a specialty with both medical and surgical aspects. A dermatologist treats diseases, in the widest sense, and some cosmetic problems of the skin, scalp, hair, and nails.
- Epidemiologist: Epidemiology is the study and analysis of the distribution and determinants of health and disease conditions in defined populations. It is the cornerstone of public health, and shapes policy decisions and evidence-based practice by identifying risk factors for disease and targets for preventive healthcare.
- Gynecologist: Gynecology or gynecology is the medical practice dealing with the health of the female reproductive systems and the breasts. Outside medicine, the term means “the science of women”. Its counterpart is andrology, which deals with medical issues specific to the male reproductive system.
- Neurologist: Neurology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the nervous system. Neurology deals with the diagnosis and treatment of all categories of conditions and disease involving the central and peripheral nervous systems, including their coverings, blood vessels, and all effector tissue, such as muscle.
- Orthopedic Surgeon: Orthopedic surgery or orthopedics, also spelled orthopedics, is the branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system.
- Radiologist: Radiology is the medical specialty that uses medical imaging to diagnose and treat diseases within the body.
- Surgeon: In modern medicine, a surgeon is a physician who performs surgical operations. There are also surgeons in podiatry, dentistry and the veterinary fields.