CAREER IN HOME SCIENCE
Home Science is both a science and an art related multi-disciplinary field of study involving biology, chemistry, physics, physiology, hygiene, economics, rural development, child development, sociology and family relations, community living, art, nutrition, textiles and home management. One can specialize in any of the five streams of home science – Food and Nutrition, Resource Management, Human Development, Fabric and Apparel Science and Communication and Extension or have a general understanding of all streams. A career in Home Science is best suited for modern women with keen aesthetic sensibilities in contemporary arts & modern housekeeping among others.
Career Opportunities in Home Science
- Production Industry: Production industry has a wide spectrum involving food preservation, Cooking, Fabric Production and dress manufacturing. In the Food manufacturing industry, options are available in food processing units and food preservation departments as food analysts, quality analysts, quality controllers and quality managers.
- Tourism and service industry: The Indian tourism and hospitality industry has emerged as one of the key drivers of growth among the services sector in India. Tourism in India has significant potential considering the rich cultural and historical heritage, variety in ecology, terrains and places of natural beauty spread across the country. Tourism is also a potentially large employment generator besides being a significant source of foreign exchange for the country. During January-July 2018 FEEs from tourism increased 12.1 per cent year-on-year to US$ 17.09 billion.
- Healthcare industry: The healthcare industry (also called the medical industry or health economy) is an aggregation and integration of sectors within the economic system that provides goods and services to treat patients with curative, preventive, rehabilitative, and palliative care.
- Dietetics and Nutrition: A dietitian (or dietician) is an expert in dietetics; that is, human nutrition and the regulation of diet. A dietitian alters their patient’s nutrition based upon their medical condition and individual needs. Dietitians are regulated healthcare professionals licensed to assess, diagnose, and treat nutritional problems.
- Teaching and research: One of the major careers available is as food scientists, research associates, teachers and professors. Candidates with a master’s degree can opt for teaching positions or research positions.
- Self-Employment: The Home Science Graduates/Post-graduates can set up confectionery, Ice-cream Parlors and Bakery. They can use innovation skill to evolve their own products, in making dresses, interior designing and may design their own place in a way that’s unique and exciting to the customers.
- Textile and Clothing: Clothing & Textiles is about the design, manufacture and marketing of clothing and footwear and other textile products. Studying in this area includes learning about fabrics and other materials and about weaving, dyeing, printing, pattern-making, sewing, washing, etc.
- Resource Management: Resource Management involves the study of managing by organizing the home economically and effectively. The home not only implies the basic facts about house hold but the housing designs, furnishing by effective use of the money and labor using a method of getting the maximum work done through the minimum resources.
Chefs and head cooks oversee the daily food preparation at restaurants and other places where food is served. They direct kitchen staff and handle any food-related concerns.
Chefs and head cooks typically do the following:
- Check freshness of food and ingredients
- Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and other food preparation workers
- Develop recipes and determine how to present the food
- Plan menus and ensure uniform serving sizes and quality of meals
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas for cleanliness and functionality
- Hire, train, and supervise cooks and other food preparation workers
- Order and maintain inventory of food and supplies
- Monitor sanitation practices and follow kitchen safety standards